The following are guidelines for how the MNMBS will conduct races in the event of challenging weather. Our primary consideration is the safety of racers, race support staff, race visitors, and potential damage to the site.
Any decisions regarding cancelling, postponing, or altering race start times, lap lengths, number of laps, etc. will be made jointly by the race promoter, a representative of the MNMBS, and the chief referee. Often, this decision cannot be made until the morning of the race due to the unpredictable nature of wet or stormy weather.
The MNMBS will make every attempt to notify the racing population via Twitter, Facebook, web site updates as soon as possible. You may sign up for Text / SMS updates, see the bottom of the page for instructions.
MNMBS Weather Guidelines
- Races are held on their scheduled dates unless the race course on the day of the race is deemed unrideable and dangerous.
- Race promoters have the option to delay the start of a race from the published times if the weather has created dangerous conditions.
- Courses and/or lap lengths may be altered or shortened because of weather conditions.
- Last minute changes will be broadcast to racers at the start of each wave via the race announcer.
- If conditions require a change in number of laps during a race, a person will be stationed at the lap line advising riders of the change.
- Race promoters are encouraged to develop wet weather course alterations in case of extremely wet conditions that threaten the trails used for the race.
- All racing will stop immediately in the presence of lightning as signified by the chief referee. Racing may continue once the race promoter, chief referee, and the head timer have conferred.
Restarting a race that has been stopped due to lightning:
- Depending on schedule and number of laps completed, the race may be declared over.
- If time permits, racers will be able to resume laps beginning from the lap line.
Communication of delays, changes in start time, courses, and so on will be made by the race promoter as follows:
- On the series web site prior to the race day, if possible
- On the public address system on the race day
- Via forms of social media
- Via a text notification system from the MNMBS to racers who have subscribed
MNMBS will not refund pre-registration fees due to inclement weather. MNMBS does not allow registration transfers to subsequent races due to inclement weather.