Race4Free Update – the Minnesota Mountain Bike Series, Minnesota’s 10-event regional mountain bike racing series, is a Silver Sponsor of the Minnesota High School Cycling League. Part of their sponsorship of the MN League is providing Race4Free events, where high school students (9th through 12th grade) can try mountain bike racing in the Citizen class for free at selected MNMBS events. Race4Free dates in 2013 will take place at the Bluff Rider’s Charge June 2nd in Mankato, at the Great Hawk Chase July 14th in Duluth, and at the Border Crossing in River Falls, WI on August 4th.
“It’s great that our friends at the Minnesota Mountain Bike Series provide this opportunity,” said MN League Director Gary Sjoquist. “While these are not NICA sanctioned events, nor part of the MN League, they are a good way for high school student athletes to try mountain bike racing in the MNMBS’ Citizen class races prior to our Fall Season.”
New for 2013, high school students will need to either preregister on the MNMBS web site for each of the three Race4Free events, or register onsite on race day. Race4Free racing fees are paid by the MNMBS for participation in the Citizen class; race fees for high school students wishing to race in other classes at MNMBS races are not covered by the Race4Free program.
Here is the process for registering for Race4Free events.
1. The MNMBS has provided a discount that is to be used when registering for Race4Free events. Please get the code from your coach.
2. Please note this discount code is CASE SENSITIVE
3. Users will go through the online registration process as any general registrant would. When they come to the Shopping Cart page of the registration session, they will enter the discount code and hit “Apply” to see the original registration amount crossed out and the new discount amount reflected.
4. If a user is registering multiple family members and the discount is applicable to only one family member, please instruct such users to complete the registration for this one racer completely separate (all the way to through the Review, Shopping Cart, Checkout to the Receipt page). This will ensure that the discount code will only apply to the one racer’s registration fee vs. all the family member’s registration fees.
5. Waivers will need to be signed per MNMBS procedures for each Race4Free participant.
For those who are planning to register on line for the St Croix Woolly and other races, here is a listing of your Series numbers. This list ( by Class) reflects all registrations through Saturday May 11- 8:00 PM.
If you have not already received your number plate by mail, please pick it up at the at The St. Croix Woolly Series Registration table prior to completing your "race day" registration.
Registrations for the Series can be purchased at any one of the first three races.
With great cooperation from all of the people we are dependent on to hold the Buck Hill Birch Bump, we were able to reschedule the event for June 30th. The event was originally scheduled for May 5th, and now it will move from race #1 to race #4. We’ll hold any pre-registered riders and simply transfer the registrations the new date. Thanks for your understanding, and we look forward to seeing you at the St. Croix Wooly on May 19th.
First race – The first race will be the Buck Hill Birch Bump at the Buck Hill Ski Hill in Burnsville on Sunday, May 5. From the original 9 race schedule, we recently added Afton Avalanche on July 28th and moved the Great Hawk Chase schedule from July 21 to July 14.
SuperPass – The first 100 racers to sign up for the SuperPass will receive a limited edition Minnesota Mountain Bike Series t-shirt. The t-shirt was produced in partnership with Silver-Level Series sponsor One Little Shirt Shop (www.onelittleshirtshop.com). Please select your size when registering for the SuperPass, and we will mail your shirt to you.
State Championships – The 2013 State Championships will be at the Red Wing Classic on June 23.
New Race class sub-category added – In the Sport class, we are adding an “Open” Fat Bike race. Tires must be a minimum of 3.8 inches. With the growing number of fat bikes, we believe there is enough interest to add this race.
Afton Avalanche is added back to the 2013 race shedule bringing our Series to 10 races. Also, please note the Great Hawk Chase race has been moved to July 14.
Minnesota Mountain Bike Series
2013 Race Schedule
05/19/13 St. Croix Woolly – St Croix Falls, WI
06/02/13 Bluff Riders Charge – Mt Kato, Mankato, MN
06/23/13 Red Wing Classic – Red Wing, MN (State Championship)
06/30/13 Buck Hill Birch Bump – Burnsville, MN
07/14/13 Great Hawk Chase – Duluth, MN
07/28/13 Afton Avalanche, Hastings, MN
08/04/13 Border Crossing – River Fall, WI
08/18/13 Dirt Spanker Classic – Superior, WI
09/01/13 Laddie's Loppet – Callaway, MN
09/22/13 Single Track Escape – St Cloud, MN